10:21 AM

Spin Spin Sugar

So on my last trip home to see the ‘rents i worked on a project with my dad.  While drooling over the drop spindles available on Etsy  I discovered something called a kick spindle.  Imagine a drop spindle and a spinning wheel had a baby, that’s basically a kick spindle.  They were available anywhere from $50 to $500, but as you will no doubt find out, I have this why buy it when I can make it life philosophy.

 

So I go to my father the carpenter and discuss the project with him. So we makes  a quick trip to the local Lowes costing about $10.  Our shopping list was a couple dowel rods (sizes 3/8”, 1/2”, and 3/4”) a bun foot, and 1/2” cup hooks.. The extra wood was going to be provide by the inordinate amount lumber he has laying around.

 

So we went out to the workshop, read altered garage, and played with lots of fun tools including the miter saw, the drill press, and the radial arm saw.  Some measuring and Gorilla Glue later it was completed and drying.  As a bonus we made a 1 yd and a 2 yd Niddy Noddy.

 

A week later I finally had a moment to sit and spin, hehe, and it worked, just needed a few adjustments.  But I was able to spin an entire ball of roving.  See.

 

IMG00195-20100320-1836

 

So here’s the to do list for the Kick Spindle :

  1. Shorten the shaft.
  2. Reduce the angle.
  3. Sand/strip the wood.
  4. Do some cut outs on the upright
  5. Smooth off edges.
  6. Repaint.
  7. Add non slip to the bottom.

I’ll keep you updated on how it’s going.

 

As a bonus, here’s a pic of the yarn I spun, I call it Smoky after my husband’s pet rat, on the 1 yd Niddy Noddy we made.

 

IMG00198-20100322-1313

 

A Pic of Smoky.

100_1513

0 comments: