1:25 PM

It’s mine! All Mine!

I went with my mother to a fiber festival over the weekend.  It was nice to give her a more in depth look at the world that has sucked me in so completely.  It was held in Townsend, TN where my Grandmother live so it as convenient.  Mom was excited because the vendors we located in the school gym, where she played basketball in high school.  I think that may have been what led her to indulge me in a little bit of a shopping spree.  But of all the things she bought me I think that my favorite (she always asks0 is the Trindle!

 

I’ve wanted a Trindle every since I saw one in Abbey Franquemont’s book Respect the Spindle.  What is a Trindle?  It’s a unique type of spindle you can visit the Trindleman’s Shop on Etsy and check them out.  I purchased mine from Gale’s Art booth at the Smoky Mountain Fiber Arts Festival. 

 

Well, a picture is worth 1,000 words so I’ll let Fuji Film do the talking!

 

DSCF1526

Doesn’t really look like a lot , does it?

 

The shaft is made from purpleheart  and the arms arm metal beads.  See the black rubber ball at the top?  Well it has holes that the three arms that you see to the side fit in.  Need a closer look?  Here you go.

 

DSCF1527

Look close and you can see it.

 

You stich the pointy end of the arm in the hole.  I would just forestall any possible difficulties by not holding on to the bead when inserting or removing the arms.  I don’t want to stress the glue anymore than I need to. But then I’m seriously over protective of this thing.   So you put the arm in like so.

 

DSCF1529

 

Once you get all three arms in it looks like this.

 

DSCF1530

 

DSCF1531

 

Isn’t that the most ingenious thing?  You can get the arms in different weight to help you spin different weight of yarn.  This one is weighted for lace to sport weight.  Don’t like top whorl?  The ball is movable and you can make it bottom whorl if you want to.  So to test it out I took some random wool I had.

 

DSCF1533

 

I spun for a bit and I have to say, I like it.  Spins well and I’m still pretty much a novice at spindle spinning.  Hopefully this will help me want to practice more.  This was what I ended up after a little bit.

 

DSCF1536

 

Man I love this thing!

0 comments: